Monday 29 June 2015

I SAW A MAN

I saw a man, bald, frail and rugged. He looks older than my father, or so I thought. He stood in the middle of the market smoking in the hot sun; and tactically balances his lifting tray with his left index finger to the ground.



I starred intently at him with pity from the passenger side of my father’s Sedan car and thought of giving him some alms. “I’m not a beggar!” he said to a man that had just handed him a note as he passed him by. I felt a little bit embarrassed for the man that had just displayed some spirit of generosity, more especially as his offer was rejected. “I am a hardworking man that would never beg for alms. And as you can see, I have my own job, thank you,” he concluded with pride as he opened his kola nut colored teeth and puffed some cigarette. That was the second stick within a spate of five minute. 
A BALD, FRAIL AND RUGGED MAN

Suddenly, I spotted from a far, my father far among the crowds. He and someone else were struggling to lift a bag of Rice, while two others behind them were also struggling with a bag of Gari grains. The quarter bag of bean was not in sight; and I thought that probably they would go back for it after dropping those in the car. We were a family of twelve, and those were our monthly food supply.

I watched as the four men struggled with the bags. From physical observation, the bag of rice looks smaller in size compared to that of gari, yet my father and the other younger man were finding it difficult to move forward as they lift. They swung like the pendulum and almost crashed on passersby, but for several instinctive halts. But all of a sudden they dropped it right in the middle of the market, panting. It was right in the front of the smoking man and the latter said, “Sir, can you pay me some little coins and I will help you lift this little bag of yours to whatever destination?” My father, hearing that, signaled to the two other men and they also dropped their bag right above the one on the ground and immediately they went for the quarter bag of bean behind. I assumed that dad thought more of the physical relief from someone else carrying the loads for him more than the consideration of the man’s physical appearance. Ordinarily, I know that my father wouldn't want anything to do with suchlike men. Besides, they were closer to the car now, just about two poles away, and I wondered why they couldn't just endure and brought the foodstuffs themselves. But now they were about to commit murder by engaging the service of the frail man. Dad pointed straight in my direction, which is the car that I was, to indicate to the lifter where the food stuffs were to be conveyed.

Suddenly the man dropped his tray on the floor and squatted a bit then the men helped him lift the bags at the back of his neck, one over the other. I thought he would break into two as his legs wobbled with the weights and his arc-like shape brought him closer to the ground, but to my surprise he balanced and stood erect like the rock of Gibraltar and soon began to walk toward me. I quickly got down and opened the booth before his arrival. And soon, the man dropped the two bags inside and re-adjusted his neck with his hands. I heard some audible sounds as his bones straightened. The other men also arrived with the quarter bag. Dad handed the men some money and they walked away. Soon the bald rugged man went back to his earlier position, right at the centre of the market. He proudly maintained the same posture; expecting the next customer.


As we gradually drove off, I looked behind to take a final look at the man, but this time I saw him coming towards our direction, he lifted three bags of Rice on his head and a fat light skinned lady led the way to the car park, she was obviously the younger owner of the luggage. I perceived that he was sweating through both ears with every step he took. On a closer look, I felt the man might probably be in my daddy’s age bracket. But the nature of his work had turned him into something else. Truly as they say, there is dignity in labour, and this man was a perfect example because he did his with pride. However, I couldn’t help but to feel pity for him and wondered what he had done to deserve such laborious fate. Although I was 14 years old then, I would never want to settle for a job like that when I’m older, I thought. Then I slowly turned my attention to dad and asked, “What must someone not do to end up with a job like that?”

 Dad smiled and said, “Someone must not be unserious as a child, because all the decisions we make today end up affecting us in future. Face your study now and don’t run after money and the opposite sex at a tender age. I assure you that money would definitely come because it is the result of hard work. The opposite sex can be a source of both a curse and a blessing. Getting too involved with them at a tender age can be a great cause of distraction. So be patient, focus on your set goals and pursue them with all your vigor and when you have reached some, you will then know it is time to look for a suitable mate to help you get the rests. Don’t look for short cuts because they usually cut one’s way short and at the end the truth would be revealed. Like the motto of the boy scouts, always be prepared, and I tell you when life’s challenges come in future, you would have gathered enough wisdom to tackle them, and I assure you, come they will. And lastly, love God and be nice to everybody. I saw the expression on your face when you saw Alani. Although I have forgiven him a long time ago, people often deserve what they get. Alani is no exception.”
“Who is Alani?” I asked. And my father replied, “Alani was the man that had just helped up with our bags of foodstuffs some moments ago. Over thirty years ago, he was our class bully. On two different occasions he injured me with a pen and once pushed me to the ground for not allowing him to copy me during a mathematics test. Two years before we passed out of secondary school he impregnated a girl and later on he voluntarily withdrew himself from school to pursue a career in boxing to take care of his family. However he ended up destroying his career with hard drugs and several police detentions. He is yet to win a professional fight ever since.  And I think it is a bit too late now, because no body is ready to manage him anymore, especially with his severally failed anger management programs. He fought his way as the only haulage in this part of the market and nobody dares challenge him. Sometimes I couldn't just help pitying him because of all the labour he greedily put upon himself. I see him there every day I come to the market, but he doesn't even recognize me or any of his old classmates anymore and I don’t think I have any reason to introduce myself to him! I implore you to thread slowly son, because the land is slippery. Always remember that the inferior man of today can one day become a monster and the monster can become an ant. Alani’s strengths could have been put to better use, but now it is a waste. There is nothing wrong for one to engage in laborious work for sometimes but always be focused. Know why you are doing what you are doing and give yourself a set target on when to stop. I have told you before and I will tell you again, I worked as a labourer in several construction sites for four years in order to sponsor myself out of school. But what am I now? I am an architect; and the rest is history. I was a poor orphan, with only my aunt to support me, Alani was from an average family, yet he blew it up.  Son, always make use of any opportunity that comes your way. Don’t loose it before you appreciate it.”


I was speechless.



go guy 1

No comments:

Post a Comment