Tuesday 17 November 2015

THE LEGEND OF THE TREE BOY (3 & 4)




3.       THE OLD CHIEF

The old chief rained insults upon the two officers that had brought his son before him. They were dumbfounded because they had never bargained for what they had met at the house of the bald, potbellied, old chief with some grayish hair at the beard and side of the temples. More so, according to the norm, gray hair signifies wisdom and good judgment. But that was an utter anomaly! The elderly man hadn't reciprocated their fair judgment and discretion at all. They were supposed to present his son, Bale, or any other accused fellow before only the serving chiefs, as was the tradition of the village  and he knew!
  “So you two, Dada and Ofa?” said the old chief, “You have the guts to arrest my son according to the law of the stupid chief you just had? Is this how you two also want to repay me for my kindness? Or have you forgotten that during my reign that I made you two and so many ungrateful idiots like yourselves what you are today? But I still believe that when the time comes, the people of this land as a whole would come to realize how stupid they were and then they will all clamour back for their old chief, me! The rich and influential chief Onidoti Adugbo, the not so rigid man that gives them freedom to do as they choose!” He beats his hand on his chest boastfully on his chest as he spoke, “then I shall deal with you two and all other ungrateful ones yourselves personally.



The stream that forgets its source would dry up! Then you will remember that you two are not really qualified to put-on this uniforms in the first place. Or have you both quickly forgotten?” But none of them could answer the question. Some few moments later, some whitish substance dropped from the skies on the cap of the taller police officer. And immediately, everyone looked up and saw some birds flying away. The old chief smiled, and then continued, “I think you two need to fly after those birds and arrest whichever of them that had done that. Didn't you see that one of the birds had not just broken the law of the land, but had also insulted a law officer? What nonsense!” 

“... Is this how you two also want to repay me for my kindness? ”

They stood motionlessly, and then suddenly the old chief yelled, “Now will you get out of my sight before I get angrier with you fools!” They turned and walked away. Bale giggled as he watched them leave. His father heard his giggle and suddenly turned towards him and yelled, “and don't ever be caught again doing something the new chief forbids. I have been trying to avoid anything to do with that little boy for so long.  And I wouldn't want to do so because of one of my stupid sons. Do you understand?”

 He nodded affirmatively. “Now you too get out of my sight!” yelled the old chief.




4. THE KING MUST HEAR THIS!
   The new chief was appalled when the news got to him. He had to be careful not to rekindle old rivalry between the former village chief and himself since he knew the latter still harboured some resentment toward him. “I know what to do,” said the young chief to the two officers that had brought the earlier matter to his notice, “I must tell this directly to the king. Maybe he would have some words with him. I personally have for long been trying to avoid putting my legs into the same shoes with him. And it isn't that I'm scared of him, but I still just accord him the respect he deserves. Remember that  our elders have this saying that if a child has more cloths than older people; never can he have more rag collections than them. But if he or any of his offspring willfully violate any of the laws of the land again, then I swear we shall show him that no the law is no respecter of anybody!”
The two law officials nodded in agreement as the new chief made his points. Then the taller one said, “I think it's time we settled this once and for all,” he paused awhile and then continued. “The old chief has the largest piggery in this village. And we know what pigs feed on…”
   “DIRTS,” said the shorter officer. “And that is why he isn't happy that you or anyone at all would think of tiding up this land of ours. But come to think of it, the selfish old chief has a way of sanitizing his own environment,” concluded the taller officer.
“Hmm” the chief sighed, “I have always thought of that, perhaps I admit I was a bit scared of offending him and a lot of rich livestock's farmers who had made a lot of fortune from the trade in the land.”
“But no one is stopping them from trading,” interrupted the shorter officer again, “all what we are trying to tell them to maintain is proper sanitation rule. For instance, look at neighboring villages, such as the Onimototo, the Gbalegbata and the Ilumimo villages; there is none where their domestic animals are allowed to roam the streets freely without limits.”
“That's true,” agreed the chief. “But you know that my own power is limited. The cockroach wants to dance, but the fowl would not just allow it. So I will have to discuss a lot of issues with the king as the overall ruler of the kingdom. With matters like this that concerns the high and mighty of the land; I will need his backing and those of some other elders. ”
   “Please do”, said the taller officer, “and we, the community police are solidly behind you too!”
   “Thank you,” the chief answered in return. “Let me get there before it becomes too dark.”


To be Cont'

Read Next>>

No comments:

Post a Comment