Monday 7 December 2015

THE LEGEND OF THE TREE BOY (11)




11.       THE LUCKIEST TREE 



Almost five days had passed after the men's initial appearance still nothing happened. The sight of Bale's tree was displeasing to passers by for it looked even uglier, because it obviously lacked the basic nutrients and had almost completely shed away all the leaves on it. At times, he would overhear some of the women going to the market square asking: When will they cut off this ugly tree? The fun was obviously over! It was clear that no one loved the unsightly tree he had become. And if he had his way, he would have transformed into his human form that night and shamefully leave the village before being noticed the following morning. He prayed for the old man to come before the lumberjacks would return. Sometimes he couldn't stop wondering if the old man would ever return into the village again after what he did to him.
But about a fortnight after, his prayer was answered. He saw the same old man walking by. He was scavenging for manure from dead plants. He shouted on top of his voice, “Baba, Baba!” And the old man looked around to see the owner of the familiar voice, but couldn't sight anyone. So he continued with what he was doing. “Baba! It is I, Bale.” This time the boy's voice came more strongly.


      The old man immediately recollected whom the boy was but still couldn't find him anywhere around. He looked further. “Please look no further Baba,” said the voice from the tree, “I am right behind you. I am the tree right at the center of the road!” The old man looked at the tree and was shocked for some moment.
      “Baba, please help me,” pleaded the tree boy soberly, “I have made the biggest mistake of my life. Please change me back into a human again and I promise to be a good person.”
“I didn't know what you are talking about son.” replied the old man, “I didn't turn you into a tree in the first place. It was your wish to become one. So why should I undo what I didn't do. It is only your wish that can undo the evil you have bestowed upon yourself in the name of revenge. I tried to warn you but you wouldn't listen.  You see, when a young boy is cutting a tree, an old man can always predict where it will fall”!
“Please, forgive me Baba. Can you give me another wishing pebble?”
Give you? It is only one that I have left and I don't intend to give it to you. Or can a nursing mother donate her breast to charity?”
“Please old man. My life depends on it.”
“You see, you are a very lucky boy. None of my sons was really interested in the thing when I wanted to follow your advice by throwing a coin to see who gets the last one, they both fled! They sensed that with each pebble usage is always lurking a bad luck thereafter.  And that is why I still have the last one with me.”
“Then please will you now give it to me now old man? I already have plethora of bad luck following me. This wouldn't make any much difference!”
 “I can't give it to you freely. Just as I have done, you must be ready to give me something in exchange for it.”
“Oh Baba, please help me. Be merciful!” Bale pleaded soberly.
“Honestly I am trying to be. And that is why I have given you the choice. Actually, you know you don't deserve it son! But we don't use a wicked child to feed the lion!”
“Then you can take all the leaves on all of my branches and use them for herbs,” suggested Bale.
“Ha! Ha!” laughed the old man, “that sounds really ridiculous. Don't you know you have no more leaves all over you? Besides, leaves from your trees cannot be medicinal. They can even hasten the death of a  patient.”
“Honestly baba, I have nothing else to offer for the pebble!”
“Yes, you do.”
“What baba? Tell me what you want and I will give it to you. Dung?”
“NO! But I will cut one of your branches.”
“No baba that will hurt. I can't allow anyone to do that.”
“Then, it means I should start to leave now.”
“Please don't go old man. Tell me any other thing that you want.”
“You have nothing again to offer. Nothing belongs to your parents in this village anymore. I was there when everything was sold, remember! If you cannot allow me to cut the part of the branches that I want then I will have to leave you here. Wait until the time the lumberjacks will have to come and cut you down completely! Remember you are nothing but an ordinary tree that can serve as nothing other than for fire woods and planks for making coffins. You are not even fit for good home furniture. So, either way, you still lose!”
    Bale's fear intensified as the old man completed his speech. He knew he had no choice but to let the old man to have his way. “Okay,” he said slowly, “I have no choice. Cut off any of my branches. But please don't make it hurt Baba!”



    Then the old man dipped his hand into his sack and brought out a small cutlass. He climbed up the tree while holding it with his teeth. And on getting up, he cut a part of its apex branches and threw it down together with the small cutlass before descending. When he finally reached the floor, he searched around the tree's bark for an opening, then inserted the black shiny pebbles in it and said, “I hope this pebble would fulfill your inner desire, son. And I also hope you won't be stupid this time.” Then he bent to pick up the little branch he had cut and put it into his sack together with the cutlass. And walked away never to be seen or heard of by Bale again!
 
TO BE CONT'

No comments:

Post a Comment